Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Weekly Previews for December 7, 2011

It's the start of a new month, so I'll be heading to the comic shop this week. Among others, I have the new Animal Man and Swamp Thing issues waiting for me. I'm eager for those (right now) loosly connected books to come together. It should be interesting. I'll also be checking out a new mini on Marvel's side of things. Keep reading the Previews to see what I'm talking about.

Action Comics #4

  • Written by Grant Morrison & Joshua Hale Fialkov
  • Art by Rags Morales, Gene Ha, Rick Bryant & Matt Camp
  • Cover by Rags Morales
  • Variant Cover by Greg Capullo

Is your mind prepared for an encounter with the deadly Terminauts? What awful master do they serve? What horrible fate awaits Superman and the city of Metropolis? The true scope of Grant Morrison and Rags Morales’ ACTION COMICS run begins to come into view, so get those sunglasses ready, ‘cause it is gonna be blinding!

And in a backup story from writer Joshua Hale Fialkov and artist Matt Camp that spins out of ACTION COMICS #2, John Henry Irons takes his first steps toward becoming the hero known as Steel!

This is a make-or-break issue for me. I thought this series got off to a really good start, but the last two issues were somehow both disjointed and decompressed. I'm sticking around for this issue because of the Steel backup — I've had a thing for that character since reading 52 — but if the rest of the issue doesn't wow me, I'll switch to something that does (or maybe just save the cash).

Status: Buying It (On A Probationary Basis).

Animal Man #4

  • Written by Jeff Lemire
  • Art & Cover by Travel Foreman

After coming face to face with the mysterious Totems, Buddy learns the truth about Maxine’s destiny – but it may be too late, as The Red is infiltrated by agents of The Other, and Buddy struggles to control his new, unfiltered powers with deadly results! Meanwhile, Ellen and Cliff must face the last Hunters alone!

I'm still not digging the art except in certain situations (the more supernatural elements look great; the real-life stuff doesn't). The story is keeping me along, though. And, I'll admit, it helps that this is obviously moving towards a crossover with Swamp Thing

Status: Buying It.

Swamp Thing #4

  • Written by Scott Snyder
  • Art by Victor Ibanez
  • Cover by Yanick Paquette

All across the world, those with a primal connection to the forces of life and death can feel that something is very wrong. The war between The Green andThe Other has begun, and the knights of decay walk the Earth unchecked – but without Alec Holland, the Green has no champion strong enough to fight back!

… which I've been loving. I'm a little concerned about the fill-in artist for this issue. Not because I don't like his art — I don't think I've actually seen his work. It's just that I love Yanick Paquette's art. And it's been wonderful on this book.

Status: Buying It.

Thought Bubble Anthology #1

  • Written by Andy Diggle, Stuart Gordon & Antony Johnston
  • Art by Charlie Adlard, Duncan Fegredo & D'Israeli
  • Cover by Becky Cloonan

Top names come together to celebrate Thought Bubble's fifth year with an anthology of new short comics. This collection will also print the winners of the first ever Northern Sequential Art Competition. All profits from this comic will go to the charity Banardos.

www.thoughtbubblefestival.com

I think the solicit skipped a few contributors. (At least according to the Thought Bubble website.) Anyway, anthologies can be fun, right? And this is cheap-ish (regular comic price/length anyway) and oversized, to boot.

Status: In Consideration.

Villains for Hire #1

  • Written by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning
  • Pencils by Renato Arlem
  • Cover by Rodolfo Migliari

Villain on villain action! Why has Misty Knight hired psychopaths like Tiger Shark and Speed Demon? Because the Purple Man is out to build a criminal empire with an army including Avalanche, Shocker and the all-new Scourge! Let the baddest man (or woman) win!

I probably would've just passed this over, but DnA are writing it, and I took a look at the preview, and if it continues in the vein of the first four pages, I'm hooked. It was fun writing. Add in that it's only five issues (according to the solicit; four according to the preview cover), and I think I'll be squeezing this one in.

Status: In (Heavy) Consideration.

X-Factor #228

  • Written by Peter David
  • Pencils by Leonard Kirk
  • Cover by David Yardin

X-Men Regenesis

Still reeling from the shocking death of one of their own, how can the X-Factor team possibly take down the one responsible -- the deadly Bloodbath?

I haven't seen the last issue (which came out two weeks ago, and this week is comics week for me), and I don't know who died, but c'mon, it's X-Factor — I'm buying it.

Status: Buying It.

0 comments:

Post a Comment