Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Weekly Previews for November 30, 2011

It's another small week for the Previews. The most notable thing this week is the start of the All Hope Lies in Doom arc in FF. This beats out the fact that this is my 100th post on this blog by a slim margin.

Angel & Faith #4

  • Written by Christos Gage
  • Art by Rebekah Isaacs
  • Colors by Dan Jackson
  • Cover by Steve Morris
  • Variant Cover by Rebekah Isaacs

As Angel continues his quest to resurrect the dead by following leads he digs out of the Watcher’s Files, Faith has second thoughts about supporting his seemingly impossible venture. A new ally warns her to weigh the consequences—good and bad—of Angel’s endeavor. Meanwhile, amidst clubbing, mentoring, and slaying, Faith has her own concerns counseling a damaged and vengeance-seeking Slayer! There’s pressure from all sides. Can Faith handle it?

I think this series has been off to a good start: good characterizations, good story and good art. Though I must say I miss the rest of the L.A. crew, Angel has made a good transition to Dark Horse.

Status: Buying It.

FF #12

  • Written by Jonathan Hickman
  • Pencils by Juan Bobillo
  • Cover by Steve Epting
  • Variant Cover by Skottie Young

"ALL HOPE LIES IN DOOM" Part One

The beginning of a 4-part arc that runs parallel with FOREVER in the Fantastic Four. We've teased it for years, now find out exactly how Doctor Doom and the Future Foundation will save us all.

I've heard complaints that this series (and Fantastic Four before it) is too much of a slow burn to be really enjoyable monthly. That it would read much better in trades. While I can understand why some people might come to that conclusion, I've never felt the same. The past two issues have pushed me a bit towards that conclusion. Maybe it's the difficulties of planning a story around an anniversary issue, but they felt a bit too slow and non-event-like. I have a feeling that will change with this arc. Things should ramp up here. And it's always fun to see Doom in action.

Status: Buying It.

Herc #10

  • Written by Fred Van Lente & Greg Pak
  • Pencils by David Hahn
  • Cover by Carlo Pagulayan
  • Variant Cover by Mike Oeming

ENTER BABA YAGA! It’s hard to be a depowered deity. Herc knows this, and yet remains a hero. His father Zeus, however, is having a rough go of it. Adding to their troubles, the assassin ELEKTRA has joined with the Russian mob to take some powerful items from their Brooklyn home, which doesn’t sit well with the man they’re stolen from… the KINGPIN! Herc and Zeus are caught in the middle, and their only answer appears to be in a house that walks on giant chicken legs?!? Herculean writers Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente, along with artist extraordinaire David Hahn, craft one of delectable former demigod’s craziest adventures yet!

So, it seems this was stealth-canceled. This is the last solicited issue (unless they're just not mentioning that it's going on a three month hiatus, but seriously, it's done for). I can't say I'm entirely disappointed or surprised. The book's never really been able to stand on its own. of the ten issues (I'm not even going to count the piece-of-crap point one issue), I think at least seven were somehow tied in to one event or another. That's rough, especially for a new series. I'm not sure if this is going to actually end or just be cut off. I'll probably get this issue partly for completionism (I know, bad me) and mostly because if it really does have Baba Yaga, it's got to be pretty good, right?

Status: Buying It (I Think).

Spaceman #2

  • Written by Brian Azzarello
  • Art by Eduardo Risso
  • Cover by Dave Johnson

From the Eisner award-winning team behind 100 BULLETS comes the sci-fi story of Orson, a man genetically engineered to withstand the harsh journey to Mars and finds himself trapped in a seriously harsher reality. On the outskirts of the flooded city, Orson’s on the trail of some bloodthirsty pirates. Seems they’re both after the same precious treasure. The only difference is that Orson wants the treasure alive...

I didn't jump on the $1 first issue last month. My bill was already too high and adding anything sight unseen (I was short on time as well as funds) was more than I could go for. But I've read some positive reviews, so I'll take another (okay, really a first) look. Two issues for $4 is pretty good (assuming copies of #1 are still available).

Status: In Consideration.

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #1

  • Written by Nick Spencer
  • Art by Wes Craig
  • Cover by Andy Kubert

One of the most critically acclaimed series of the past year returns with a new #1 issue that serves as a great jumping-on point for new readers!

What kind of people willingly become Super Heroes, knowing that their powers will eventually kill them? That’s the question this new 6-part miniseries will explore as the team must face off against the Warlord and his Subterraneans! Nick Spencer (Morning Glories, Ultimate X-Men) teams with rising star Wes Craig for a twisted tale of super heroics, espionage, and action!

I haven't read the earlier series, but this is an interesting concept that could be a great book if done well. That it's only a six-issue commitment is a big plus. Now, if only I could make room in my comics budget….

Status: In Consideration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment