Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Weekly Previews for October 19, 2011

Previews are on time this week! It helps that it's a smaller list (the second week of the month is a killer for me), but it's a meaty one. Two of my favorite books from DC's relaunch, the always-welcome Dark Horse Presents and X-Factor, among others. So, waste no more time, read on!

Batman #2

  • Written by Scott Snyder
  • Art and Cover by Greg Capullo & Jonathan Glapion
  • Variant Cover by Jim Lee

Bruce Wayne is back in the cowl, hunting a new and deadly killer in Gotham City – a killer with a vendetta against Bruce Wayne! But who is this mysterious killer in an owl skull mask? And is he the key to unlocking one of Gotham’s oldest and most terrifying secrets? Be there for their first brutal encounter!

Nothing surprising here. Which isn't a bad thing, it just means that the first issue was just what I expected from Scott Snyder. It's like his run on Detective with a bit of a shift from “dark” to “superhero” — again, what I expected. I'm also liking Greg Capullo's art. It, too, fits the shift from Snyder's Detective run to this one. While I still miss what could have been a long and fruitful Snyder/Jock/Francavilla run on Detective Comics (and the lost potential of Dick Grayson under the cowl for at least a couple more years), I'm still very excited for this book.

Status: Buying It.

Dark Horse Presents #5

  • Written by Eric Powell, Steve Niles, Andi Watson, Carla Speed McNeil, Howard Chaykin, Neal Adams & others
  • Art by Eric Powell, Andi Watson, Carla Speed McNeil, Steve Parkhouse, Howard Chaykin, Neal Adams, Geof Darrow & others
  • Cover by Eric Powell
  • Variant Cover by Sanford Greene

A suicidal robot in the far reaches of outer space might sound depressing, but what if it’s story were written and drawn by The Goon’s Eric Powell? Dark Horse Presents continues the otherworldly endeavor of bringing you cutting-edge entertainment with another eighty-page leviathan! In addition to new installments of stories by Steve Niles, Howard Chaykin, Sanford Greene, Carla Speed McNeil, Robert Love and David Walker, and Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse, this issue also contains a brand-new Skeleton Key short by Andi Watson! Don’t miss it!

I went with the variant cover because I've really been enjoying that Rotten Apples story. But I've really been enjoying most of the stories here, and that's why I keep coming back for more. There's nothing I want to skip over, and I find myself really excited for at least three-quarters of the material each month, if not more, and enjoying some aspect of the rest (for example, I can't stand Howard Chaykin's art, but I'm intrigued by the story). Which is pretty good for a (now) monthly compilation like this, I'd say.

Status: Buying It.

Herc #9

  • Written by Fred Van Lente & Greg Pak
  • Pencils by David Hahn
  • Cover by Tom Grummett

AN ELEKTRA-FYING ISSUE OF HERC! Herc has rejected his demigod status to distance himself from his Olympian ties, especially his father Zeus. Unfortunately for Herc, that distance is about to get a lot shorter, as Zeus has decided to move in with his wayward son after an angry Hera de-powers him. As if parental baggage wasn’t problematic enough, Herc’s status as Brooklyn’s protector has put him at odds with some powerful enemies. A team-up with the skilled assassin Elektra could give him the help he needs… as long as his dad doesn’t muck it up first. Written by Marvel scribes Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente and drawn by the astounding David Hahn, it’s a Herc story not to be missed!

Fred Van Lente and Greg Pak had better step up their game because Herc has been pretty ho-hum lately. I enjoyed the first (six-issue!) arc, even with the Fear Itself tie-in status. It used that story as a springboard to tell its own tale, and never got bogged down by being attached to something else. But. The Point One issue was a waste of money, and the Spider-Island issues were mediocre. Now, finally! it gets to stand on its own, and I'm hoping that means good things. We're eight issues into a new series, and this ninth issue will be the first that's not a tie-in. Seriously, Marvel? Hopefully it will take off from here. I'm not one to drop things hastily, but if this doesn't improve soon, I will have to, with a heavy heart, drop this title. I'm picking up too much to hang on to this for sentimental reasons. So, here's your chance, guys: win me over again.

Status: Buying It.

Tiny Titans #45

  • Written by Art Baltazar & Franco
  • Art & Cover by Art Baltazar

You are invited to a special Batgirl issue featuring Cassandra, Stephanie, Flamebird and, of course, Barbara. Find out what happens to The Batcave when the girls take over! Bonus: Coach Lobo’s Secret Soccer team versus…The Birds of Prey?! GO-O-O-A-A-AL!

Tiny Titans is always good for some laughs (though, I still contend that it's largely only funny if you're familiar with the characters and their histories), and right now, anything that admits there are Batgirls other than Barbara Gordon is welcome. Though I do note that Stephanie is the only one from the solicit left off the cover. Man, what's she got to do to get respect, DC?

Status: Of Interest.

Wonder Woman #2

  • Written by Brian Azzarello
  • Art & Cover by Cliff Chiang

Hera, Queen of the Gods, does not take her vengeance lightly – and if Wonder Woman is so foolish as to stand in the way of her whim, then Wonder Woman is her enemy. But it’s Hera’s daughter Diana should truly fear – the goddess of discord is coming to Paradise Island, and murder always follows in her wake!

I wasn't going to pick this up. As much as I was interested to see what Brian Azzarello would do with Wonder Woman, and as much as I was intrigued by the cover art, I was already adding a few titles withe DC's relaunch and I'm not interested enough in the character to force it into an already bursting-at-the-seams comics budget. But then I saw some reviews, and I saw some of the interior art, and I decided to take a flip-through in the shop, but really, who am I kidding? I had already decided to pick it up by then. And I was not disappointed in the least. This is one of my favorite books from the relaunch. It has a strong woman who doesn't look like a slut who makes monthly donations to the local plastic surgeon (that is, she looks like an actual, albeit very tall, woman); it has a heavy dose of mythology, with old gods, freakish gods, gods who will never be mistaken for human, though humanoid they be; it has strong writing to compliment the lead; and it has excellent art, very unique, dark when it needs to be, bright and powerful when it needs to be, but somehow very uniform as well. This is a dark Wonder Woman book (and occasionally gory), but she shines as a beacon. I seriously was never sure if I'd be interested in a Wonder Woman book — or even interested enough to check one out. I'm sure there are good runs out there, but I'd never find them for lack of interest. Not so now. It'll be a while (I have a mile-long list of trades to get and/or read), but I'll be investigating what good runs there have been. Because now I know there can be.

Status: Buying It.

X-Factor #226

  • Written by Peter David
  • Pencils by Leonard Kirk
  • Cover by David Yardin

It started with their new acquaintance, Sally, found brutally slain in her kitchen. And most recently: two rival gangs, lifeless bodies sprawled across a basketball court, a noose around each of their necks. Hot on the trail of a serial killer who’s lynching his victims, the mutant detectives of X-Factor Investigations are eager to cut his killing spree short. But here’s hoping they find him before he finds them!

Read. This. Book. Seriously. It's super-easy. Pick up the Point One issue, pick up #225, and pick up this issue. You're set. If you don't believe me, just pick up the Point One issue and hope that, with all your waiting, you'll still be able to find #225 and the present issue. Then, start picking up the trades because Peter David's whole run has been excellent. It's what, 75 issues so far? And they're all good. Seriously. Read. This. Book.

Status: Buying It.

0 comments:

Post a Comment