Friday, October 14, 2011

Weekly Previews for October 12, 2011

Illness and outside obligations have made this week's Previews so late as to be almost useless. But, not entirely (as far as I'm concerned, anyway), so here they are. Just pretend it's Tuesday.

Alpha Flight #5

  • Written by Fred Van Lente & Greg Pak
  • Pencils by Dale Eaglesham
  • Cover by Carlo Pagulayan

STRIKE VERSUS FLIGHT. As the traitorous Vindicator leads her team of villains, known as ALPHA STRIKE, against her former teammates, ALPHA FLIGHT embraces their outlaw status by joining forces with the mercenary TASKMASTER. Will the master of skill acquisition be able to train the team in the tactics necessary to take on the entire Canadian government? And even so, will partnering with such a compromised cohort reveal itself to be a pact with the devil? Marvel superstars Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente and Dale Eaglesham continue their stellar run with Marvel’s much-beloved band of heroes, ALPHA FLIGHT!

While I'm not as excited for this book as I was at the start, it's still pretty fun. If it weren't a limited series I probably would not still be getting it with the mass of books I'm getting lately, but as it is….

Status: Buying It.

Batgirl #2

  • Written by Gail Simone
  • Art by Ardian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes
  • Cover by Adam Hughes

The nightmare-inducing brute known as Mirror is destroying the lives of Gotham City citizens seemingly at random, and an explosive confrontation between Batgirl and Mirror leads Babs to question wearing the cape and cowl at all!

The riveting adventures of Batgirl continue in stunning fashion, with script by fan-favorite Gail Simone and stellar art by superstar Ardian Syaf!

While the end of the debut issue was a little forced, it was a good issue over-all. I was quite upset with Babs pushing Stephanie Brown out of the cowl, but the promise of The Killing Joke having still happened and seeing some of Barbara's journey from paralysis to crime-fighting again sold me. I'm mostly satisfied on that count, and I'll be sticking around to see if Gail Simone can fulfill that promise.

Status: Buying It.

Batwoman #2

  • Written by J.H. Williams III & W. Haden Blackman
  • Art & Cover by J.H. Williams III

Horror! A terrifying new villain stalks the innocent children of Gotham City! Intrigue! A threatening government agency is hot on Batwoman’s trail. Romance! Kate Kane’s new relationship is heating up!

Can Batwoman stop the new evil rising from the damp back alleys of Gotham’s barrios? And overcome the many challenges she faces as both Batwoman and Kate Kane? 2011’s most anticipated new series intensifies in this exciting second issue!

I'm kind of saving this one as one of my monthly “desserts,” so I've yet to read the first issue. I think, still, that I can say it's one of my favorite books from the “New 52” (and would have been if it had been released when scheduled and none of this reboot business had ever happened).

Status: Buying It.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 9 #2

  • Written by Joss Whedon & Andrew Chambliss
  • Pencils by Georges Jeanty
  • Inks by Dexter Vines
  • Colors by Michelle Madsen
  • Cover by Steve Morris
  • Variant Cover by Georges Jeanty

Buffy continues her nightly patrols while trying to cobble together a sensible life . . . Willow’s adopted a new look, while Dawn and Xander celebrate the comforts of a magicless world. The fun and games come to a halt when mysteriously marked bodies start appearing. As Buffy starts to investigate she captures the attention of San Francisco police detectives who have taken notice of the unnaturally gifted Slayer . . .

It's Buffy. There's going to have to be a lot of sucking for me to not get it. Even if I haven't read the first issue yet.

Status: Buying It.

Demon Knights #2

  • Written by Paul Cornell
  • Art by Diogenes Neves & Oclair Albert
  • Cover by Tony S. Daniel

The siege that will reverberate through history to the present-day DCU begins as the Demon Etrigan and his unlikely lover, Madame Xanadu, face the Horde! What five (mostly) noble souls would be crazy enough to join them? The cover gives but a hint, and the point could well be moot by the time this issue’s done. For the Horde is armed with the magic of Mordru – including some decidedly different dragons!

The first issue completely sold me on this book. Well written, great art, and giving me my medieval/fantasy fix. I can't wait for more.

Status: Buying It.

FF #10

  • Written by Jonathan Hickman
  • Pencils by Barry Kitson
  • Covers by Steve Epting

Ben Grimm returns to the pages of the FF as Ronan the Accuser and the armies of the Kree Empire invade the Earth!

I kinda hate that there's a guest artist (though it could be the best art in the world, in which case I won't care), but in any case … Ben's back! Also, Ronan the Accuser, so hey, I'm totally for it.

Status: Buying It.

Resurrection Man #2

  • Written by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning
  • Art by Fernando Dagnino
  • Cover by Ivan Reis & Joe Prado

Mitch Shelley’s past remains a mystery. So when he goes looking for answers, will he find them? Not likely, when he has to contend with the bounty hunter femme fatales known as The Body Doubles.

I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet, so I'm not even going to try to say anything right now. But I'll still be getting this issue, unless the first issue is somehow the worst book in the world.

Status: Buying It.

The Shade #1

  • Written by James Robinson
  • Art by Cully Hamner
  • Cover by Tony Harris
  • Variant Cover by Cully Hamner

James Robinson returns to the world of his acclaimed STARMAN series with a new 12-issue series starring the antihero known as The Shade! An attack at the Starman museum kicks off a globe-hopping, centuries spanning quest that will irrevocably change The Shade’s life, and ultimately shed light on his true origin! Artist extraordinaire Cully Hamner (RED) kicks off the series, and upcoming issues will feature art by such luminaries as Darwyn Cooke, Javier Pulido, Jill Thompson, Frazer Irving and Gene Ha!

I know nothing of Starman or The Shade, and the solicit does nothing to sell me. But— I love me some Cully Hamner and some of the other artists lined up, too. Which basically means I'll be flipping through in the shop to soak in the art, but I'll probably pass on the series.

Status: Of Interest.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #3

  • Written by Jonathan Hickman
  • Pencils by Dustin Weaver
  • Cover by Gerald Parel
  • Variant Cover by Dustin Weaver

Sir Isaac Newton’s secret plan reveals itself and the world shudders. Frankly, Da Vinci, Tesla, Nathanial Richards and Howard Stark don’t stand a chance. Especially with the newborn Celestial Baby (who is not such a baby anymore) goes to destroy the Immortal City. The most critically acclaimed title in comics takes an unexpected turn courtesy of Architect Jonathan Hickman (FF, ULTIMATES) and Dustin Weaver (X-MEN).

With all of the new books from DC in the past month-plus, it feels like it's been forever since the last isse came out. This issue is most welcome, however. Even if I need to reread the last issue (it's good enough that I don't have a problem with it).

Status: Buying It.

The Unwritten #30

  • Written by Mike Carey
  • Art by Peter Gross & Vince Locke
  • Cover by Yuko Shimizu

The finale of “On to Genesis!” In 1930s New York, Wilson Taylor confronts the true enormity of his betrayals, while in the present day, Tom comes face-to-face with their aftermath – and the link that binds him both to the Tinker and his creator.

I usually save this one for last or thereabouts, so I never have anything to say here. Well, I can at least say that the issue before was excellent, as always. I'm really intrigued with this Tinker story.

Status: Buying It.

Who Is Jake Ellis? #5

  • Written by Nathan Edmondson
  • Art & Cover by Tonci Zonjic

CONCLUSION

The answer to the past lies in the Morocco desert. Uncovering the truth, however, means placing everything on the line. If Jon or Jake is to escape, it may only be by the sacrifice of one or the other.

Finally! I guess working on Grifter and the newly solicited (for December) The Activity is the cause of a, what, three-month delay? I know it's been over four months since #4 came out, so that's probably right. Yikes. Well, I'm glad to finally be able to get the conclusion to this excellent series.

Status: Buying It.

0 comments:

Post a Comment