Friday, September 23, 2011

Weekly Previews for September 21, 2011

Technical difficulties prevented this from getting out anywhere close to one time. So, it's not so much Previews as Post-but-I-haven't-seen-the-books-views. So, take what you will from it. I'm still posting it if for no other reason than my own records.

Batman #1

  • Written by Scott Snyder
  • Art by Greg Capullo & Jonathan Glapion
  • Cover by Greg Capullo
  • Variant Cover by Ethan Van Sciver

Be here for the start of a new era for The Dark Knight from writer Scott Snyder (AMERICAN VAMPIRE, BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM) and artist Greg Capullo (Spawn)! A series of brutal killings hints at an ancient conspiracy, and Batman learns that Gotham City is deadlier than he knew.

It's Batman written by Scott Snyder. I am so excited for this series.

Status: Buying It.

Dark Horse Presents #4

  • Written by Steve Niles, Evan Dorkin, Carla Speed McNeil, Neal Adams, Howard Chaykin and others
  • Art by Jill Thompson, Carla Speed McNeil, Neal Adams, Geof Darrow, Sergio Aragonés and others
  • Cover by Fiona Staples
  • Variant Cover by Geof Darrow
  • Ultra Variant Cover by Michael Kaluta

The hallmark anthology continues with another spectacular eighty-page issue! In this installment, stories by creators Howard Chaykin (The Chronicles of Solomon Kane), Carla Speed McNeil (Finder), and Sanford Greene continue. Joined by exciting new shorts from Sergio Aragonés, Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse, and Filipé Melo, this issue is certain to have something for everyone! Plus, the first chapters of brand-new Beasts of Burden and Criminal Macabre stories! If that wasn’t enough, we’ve included another demented strip by Patrick Alexander and an exclusive interview with Geof Darrow!

What can I say? This has been really enjoyable so far. It's a nice mix of stuff, and I've liked almost everything in it. It's been well worth the $8 just for the mix of stories (and it'd almost be worth it just to get Concrete every month [or so]).

Status: Buying It.

Nightwing #1

  • Written by Kyle Higgins
  • Art & Cover by Eddy Barrows & JP Mayer

Dick Grayson flies high once more as Nightwing in a new series from hot new writer Kyle Higgins (BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM)! And as he embraces his destiny, Haley’s Circus, the big top where Dick once performed, returns to Gotham City – bringing with it murder, mystery and superhuman evil. Nightwing must confront his past, among former friends and enemies from his circus days, while uncovering a much greater evil!

I'm still upset that they didn't let Dick stay under the cowl for longer, but I do like the character, and I'd like to like this series. So why am I not going to get it? It really doesn't sound interesting enough to bother with. Certainly not interesting enough that they needed to make him Nightwing again. Still, I may be proven wrong, so…

Status: Keeping An Eye On It.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #1

  • Written by Scott Lobdell
  • Art & Cover by Kenneth Rocafort

No sooner has Batman’s former sidekick, Jason Todd, put his past as the Red Hood behind him than he finds himself cornered by a pair of modern day outlaws: Green Arrow’s rejected sidekick Arsenal, the damaged soldier of fortune, and the alien Starfire, a former prisoner of intergalactic war who won’t be chained again.

As a loner, Jason has absolutely no interest in this motley crew of outlaws. So what’s he going to do when they choose the Red Hood as their leader? Find out in this hot new series from writer Scott Lobdell (WILDC.A.T.S, Uncanny X-Men), featuring art by rising star Kenneth Rocafort (ACTION COMICS)!

Two reasons for getting this book: One, the art. Well, that cover, at least. It really struck me when I was looking at all the covers for the New 52. Secondly, Starfire. I just like the kick-ass ladies. That's not enough for me to actually pick up the book (sans an unlimited, or at least a much larger, comic book budget), but I'll watch out for it.

Status: Keeping An Eye On It.

The Red Wing #3

  • Written by Jonathan Hickman
  • Art & Cover by Nick Pitarra & Rachelle Rosenberg

“HARMONICS”

The shocking enemy revealed as the final conflict for dominion of all space-time begins.

It's World War 4D! Don't miss it!

I still haven't gotten the first issue of this (my shop was out when I went by and they haven't gotten any in yet), so I haven't read any of it, period. I figure the first quarter of the story's pretty important to not skip. (Though I did read the last two thirds of Logan without seeing the first issue until much much later, so, maybe not.) I'm still buying this on Hickman's name alone. But that's good with me. He's built up enough credits for that.

Status: Buying It.

Spider-Island: Spider-Woman

  • Written by Fred Van Lente
  • Pencils by Giuseppe Camuncoli
  • Cover by Stefano Caselli

SPIDER-ISLAND TIE IN!

Jessica Drew and THE EVER-LOVIN' THING go toe-to-toe over the one thing that can cure SPIDER-ISLAND ... Ben Grimm's old girlfriend, ALICIA MASTERS? What dark secret from Spider-Woman's past threatens to overwhelm her present -- and what old (insect-themed) foe is THE JACKAL bringing back and powering up to destroy the Dark Angel of the Marvel Universe?

I like Spider-Woman enough, but throw in The Thing and Alicia Masters in a one-shot writen by Fred Van Lente? I'm buying this unless it screams I suck! from the stands.

Status: (Probably) Buying It.

Wonder Woman #1

  • Written by Brian Azzarello
  • Art & Cover by Cliff Chiang

The Gods walk among us. To them, our lives are playthings. Only one woman would dare to protect humanity from the wrath of such strange and powerful forces. But is she one of us – or one of them?

I'd really like to check this one out, but I can only get so many books a month. I've never been a big fan of Wonder Woman, but with Brian Azzarello writing it could be an interesting look at the character. I'll be watching this from the sidelines unless it jumps out as something special.

Status: Keeping My Eye On It.

X-Factor #225

  • Written by Peter David
  • Pencils by Leonard Kirk
  • Cover by David Yardin

As the mutant detectives of X-Factor Investigations work to uncover other people’s secrets, they’re keeping some of their own...secrets that could eventually tear the team apart. Well, unless a recently deceased friend rises from the slab and tears them apart first!

I still think this has been a great book. Looks like another new artist, but I'm pretty much used to that by now. If he's not horrible, I'll be satisfied. Peter David has been doing a great job on this book. The Point One issue was an excellent book for both first-time and long-time readers — which has been sorely lacking, it seems, in these Point One issues (coughHERCcough). I'm eagerly awaiting what's to come.

Status: Buying It.

0 comments:

Post a Comment